Thursday, February 9, 2012

Money, Always Stressing Me Out

So, one of the goals I've already achieved is to save $2500.  When I made the list, that amount of money seemed really, really ambitious.  I know, that is a little sad.  However, at the time I was not sure I would have a regular part time job for at least the first year of the challenge, and I didn't want to set myself up for failure, you know? 

Now, since I did end up with a regular job, I reached the goal pretty quickly.  Clearly I was not thinking on a big enough scale.  Unfortunately, no sooner did I decide, "Yeah, I can totally save at least twice that much!" than a bunch of expenses came up.  Or. . .I elected to do some expensive things?

I just spent 2 hours trying to book a reasonably priced roundtrip flight from here to New York.  Not only did it take way too much time, it cost almost $200 more than I had anticipated.  The trip is for a professional development and networking seminar, so it's a good thing for me, but the costs are stressing me out!  I haven't even finished booking my hotels or pricing out the shuttle and public transportation.  Add to that the First Aid/CPR course I just registered for, some belated christmas presents to be sent, and a recent inability to bring my own food for lunch, and I'm looking at a close to maxed out credit card.  I still have enough saved and coming in to pay off the card every month, but it's not doing great things for my saving.

With graduation coming up in May, and me still without a good idea of what I will do next, I am increasingly stressed about saving and being able to support myself.  I've started tracking my finances on LearnVest, and I am working on one of my other finance goals- developing a secondary source of income, but I still feel a little sick every time I think of money.  :(

Am I the only one who feels this way??  A small, naive part of me thought that once I was in my mid twenties I would have this money thing figured out, and the reality is just not that simple!

No comments: